Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Shoes and Women

Yes, women love shoes but this has nothing to do with what is currently on my mind! Allow me to explain. Have you ever tried to be so careful not to make a mistake that you end up by making a complete mess of everything? If so then allow me to introduce myself. My name is Ryan Carter and I am the king of making messes. I keep envisioning a scene where the last thing you're told as you carry the cake to the table is, "whatever you do, don't drop it!" You focus so hard on not dropping the cake that you overlook some rather obvious signs that scream, you're going to drop it stupid! I've recently run into this situation and it's a lonely feeling to drop the cake. This reminds me of the lyrics in a 38 Special song from the early 1980's, "hold on loosely but don't let go, if you cling to tightly, you're gonna loose control." I remember as a kid we would usually get a new pair of shoes at the start of each new school year. I would be extremely diligent to keep the shoes as white as possible. I'd avoid puddles, wet areas, dirt, mud, and grass. I would try so hard to keep the shoes as spotless as possible. Even with the attention to detail I was giving the shoes, the inevitable would always happen. When I least expected it, a huge stain would seem to fall from the sky and land on my spotless shoes that I tried so hard to keep clean. I can still picture the look on my face and the feeling I felt each time this happened. You see, when I go shoe shopping, I am looking for the pair of shoes that personify Ryan Carter! And when I find those shoes, I am so proud of them because to me, they're perfect and I don't want anything to happen to them. Eventually they become scuffed and worn. However, even with their blemishes, I still think they're perfect. I've noticed that I've inadvertently treated some of my relationships like this. I know that I'm about to tie together shoe shopping and dating so I apologize for the predictability of where this will go. But seriously though, I'm picky about my shoes and women. So when I actually find a girl worth spending my time with, I'm really excited about living in those moments. And it should be exciting. It's like getting a new pair of shoes. However, I try really hard not to mess things up and I end up by doing exactly that. I dropped the cake. I held on too tightly and I lost control. That's usually where things end for me and it's rare that I recover fast enough to do anything about it. Therefore, the impression I've given is not accurate nor is it a predictor of how things will be in the future. I usually loosen up and let things move around more freely but it's difficult at first. If my relationships ever get past this stage, the wind is in my sails and things move along just fine. Overtime you'll have arguments, disagreements and the person you once thought of as perfect has a few annoying qualities! The shoes will get a few grass stains on them and their pretty white color vanishes but the feelings and reasons for choosing them still remain. I think this is an important aspect to keep in mind as your relationships progress and mature. Long story long, I drop a lot of cakes. Fortunately the local grocery store has an endless supply of cake mixes...and that keeps me looking forward and staying positive.

2 comments: