Monday, July 27, 2009

Ironman training update

I have 64 more days until I have to complete a 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, and a 13.1 mile run. It's no longer a question of "if" I can do this. I already train at these distances during my work week. More importantly, it's a question of "how fast" can I complete the 70.3 miles of pain. Last week I successfully logged 6,100 yards of swimming, 120 miles on the bike, and 20 miles of running. My main focus on the swim and bike has been distance and endurance while my running has been focused on speed. With September 27 rapidly approaching, I am feeling more confident about beating my estimated goal of 5 hours and 15 minutes. My outlook for this week: I am keeping my swim and bike distances the same as last week but increasing the miles I run from 20 to 35. I want to sustain the same work rate in swimming and biking while increasing my running miles. My brick work out, a long bike followed immediately by a run, will increase to a run that is 20% of my bike. Comparatively this will be closer to what I'll experience in the half Ironman. A 13.1 mile run is 23.39% of a 56 mile bike. I'd like to work up to this ratio so my training closely mirrors the fatigue I'll feel on race day. I think in the next 3 weeks I'll top out and begin to taper. Until then it's full steam ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment