Monday, July 6, 2009

4th of July minus fireworks of any kind

It's been years since I could say I had a really fun 4th of July. As a kid growing up in Angleton, our family would meet several other families from church and watch fireworks from the parking lot of Academy in Lake Jackson. I can remember throwing around a football and probably driving our parents insane with all the running around. The only time we sat still was when the fireworks began to go off. I don't remember anything after the grand finale though. I'm sure it has something to do with expending so much energy in anticipation that when the show was over, I was out like a light. My parents were probably very grateful for this. In fact, somethings never change. I feel as though I am still like this today. I get so excited about a certain event or anything really, that when it's over I'm completely exhausted. This years 4th of July started off on a good note but ended rather anti climatic. Since I had Friday off from work, I went to the IMAX theatre to see Transformers 2 and then proceeded to play the guitar till really late. On Friday I went for a 30 mile bike ride followed by a 6 mile run. I rested for about an hour and met my friend for a cross fit training session. We jogged 2 miles down to the gym, did circuit weight training with 3 half mile jogs, and jogged 2 miles back home. Overall I ran 11.5 miles! Then I headed down to Tim's Ford Lake to spend time with a friends family and wakeboard. The family who owns this lake house is very nice. They make me feel like I'm family every time I go down there. My 4th of July weekend quickly became an early Thanksgiving my first night at the lake. We had Fajitas, grilled corn, queso, blackberry cobbler and ice cream, chocolate brownie pies, cup cakes, and all the lemonade your stomach could handle! After a good night sleep I woke up and did an open water swim for about 30 minutes. I know I didn't get a mile in because I was swimming rather slowly. New territory always makes me a little weary when I'm swimming in the middle of a lake with boats. Once I got back from my swim, breakfast was no different than dinner the night before. I felt like I was at Cracker Barrel! We went back out on the lake again and called it a day around mid afternoon. Once I got home I began to feel guilty for just sitting around. So I put on all my bike gear and started to head outside when the bottom opened up. Not wanting to mess with biking in the rain, I crawled back in bed and watched TV for a few hours. I was supposed to head downtown to a roof top party overlooking the fireworks area downtown. However, the rain was still coming down and the thought of having to navigate all the traffic and get rained on didn't sound appealing. However, a friend of mine convinced me that I was being a woman and this would be a big mistake on my part. So I took a shower, ironed out some clothes, got dressed, walked out the door only to turn right back around and go inside. I just wasn't feeling it this year. SO... I ordered a monster pizza from Domino's and watched tv alone in the dark. The weekend definitely had potential to be incredible but Saturday evening was the buzz kill that rained on my parade, literally! Even though sparks didn't fly and fireworks didn't explode on my Saturday night, I did make good use of my free time. I ate a lot of food, spent time with good friends and rested well. That in itself is pretty great in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment