Thursday, May 21, 2009

Shin Splints

I've always had shin splints when I ran. I can remember getting them as far back as middle school. It was just something I put up with. Now i'm getting to the point where i'm serious about IM's and i'm consistently having set backs because of the way my legs are performing in a run. I decided to go see the guys at Fleet Feet in Brentwood, TN to get their insight on my shin splints. They suggested I use one of these highly compacted styrofoam cylinders and place my body weight on it to roll out the tightness in my shins. You get in a semi push up position with one shin on top of the cylinder and your other leg on top of it for added weight. Then you roll your body back and forth so that the cylinder makes it's way up and down the leg. It's basically like a deep tissue massage. After trying that last night I woke up this morning to find that my legs felt surprisingly great. I had worked the majority of the soreness out. Today on my lunch break I broke out the new Saucony Type A2's that came in the mail the day before and did a short track workout. 2X800 and 2X400 with active rest @ 75% of my run splits. Other than my legs being tired from this past Sunday's olympic distance triathlon and yesterday's 5am track workout and kick drills in the pool, I felt as if my times were significantly faster and my shins didn't feel the way they did yesterday. Hopefully with some care and attention I can work these shin splints out of my system for good. Other ailments: my lower back has been feeling a lot better partially because i've laid off the bike over the past 2 weeks. I know I need to get properly fitted and possibly need a whole new set up but the expense is outrageous. I'll end up spending several hundred on the bike fitting and necessary upgrades or spending a few thousand on a new Cervelo. I've always said, "it's not the machine, it's the person using it." However, the science and technology behind aerodynamics and efficiency in endurance sports can vastly improve your times on the swim, bike, and run by simply upgrading your gear. In a sport where seconds, ounces, and speed matter a tremendous amount, I want my gear to perform at the same level I am. This memorial day weekend i'm wakeboarding at a friends lake house Fri-Mon. It'll be a excellent opportunity to relax because the next 2 months of training will be exceptionally difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment