Thursday, May 28, 2009

Friend In the Front yard

Once I got home from Mt. Biking last week, I hobbled my scraped and bruised body down to the mail box at the end of my drive way. After shuffling through the junk mail I had received, I noticed something moving around in the grass. There in front of me was a baby rabbit hopping around in yard. I got down on one knee and tried calling it towards me as if it were a dog. Thinking about it now, that made no sense! However, this seemingly unconventional technique was working. The rabbit hopped right up to where I was standing at the edge of the road. I feared this was too close to the road so I moved into the middle of the front yard and sat down. The baby rabbit came right over to me and began to hop around me in circles. He then started crawling around on my legs and once he seemed comfortable around me, I was able to pick him up in my hands and hold it. I knew that people wouldn't believe that a rabbit just came up to me and played for a while without some pictures. Luckily I had my camera phone and tried to take several pictures of me holding the rabbit. Unfortunately my neighbors and any passing cars probably saw something completely different. After biking I had taken off my shirt and bike shoes and put them on the tail gate of my truck. I was only wearing my spandex bike shorts. So as people were out for a walk or driving past my house, the only thing they saw was a guy laying out in a front yard taking pictures of himself! Shirtless! I probably looked like the biggest tool ever! I don't know what it was about this experience that got me so thrilled. Maybe the fact that this is a wild animal... even if it's found in the suburbs of Nashville! Secondly, I appreciated the innocence and trustworthiness of this baby animal. If you've ever tried to get close to an adult rabbit, it always runs away. But this rabbit had so much curiosity that I really enjoyed. It was beginning to get dark and I had to go back inside. When I got half way back to my door I turned around the the rabbit was right on my heels going down the drive way! For some reason I felt sad. I don't know why this emotion came over me but it seemed as though the rabbit wanted to play some more! I actually felt bad about leaving it in the yard. I'm sure this rabbit got a scolding from his mother because she was sitting in the front yard watching my every move. The next morning as I was pulling out of the drive way for work, I saw him and his mother in the front yard. I actually waved good bye in a humorous manner as I drove down the street! Moral to the story: Being able to find joy and excitement in your everyday life is definitely a key to happiness. This is impossible though if you keep your eyes closed and your heart shut.

No comments:

Post a Comment