Thursday, April 8, 2010

here's where I stand

Since February 15, 2010 I have logged 25,700 yards (16.06 miles) of swimming, 565 miles of biking and 140 miles of running. In less than three months, Nashville has had some really bad weather. We had a cold winter that made running and biking outside nearly impossible. I refuse to run on a treadmill and I definitely couldn't afford an expensive bike trainer. Most of my miles have been logged the past month and a half. We are starting to have excellent weather and I'm excited to train outside. I have a small sprint triathlon at MTSU next Sunday and Lonestar Ironman 70.3 in Galveston, TX the following Sunday. I purposely scheduled the small sprint tri the weekend before my big race because I want one trial run of going through T1 and T2. It's only a 300 yard pool swim, 10 mile bike and 3 mile run. I don't want to absolutely kill the course in fear that something may happen and would cause me to drop out of the IM 70.3. I just needed something short and quick, this was it.

As it stands, I think I'm capable of doing a 4:45 half ironman. My first half IM last year was a learning experience and I was happy to finish at 5:35. I'm faster than I was last year and a lot smarter. I've learned from my mistakes and have capitalized on every opportunity to improve myself as a triathlete. I think I can go 36 min on the swim, 2:30 on the bike and 1:40 on the run. With transition times and hopefully being conservative in my estimated finish times for each category, I think 4:45 is reachable.

After that race is finished, I have one more week in Nashville then it's off to Miami. The training down there will be epic! I'll be able to get some long, flat, windy rides in that will prepare me for IM Florida in November. I've got a good feeling about this sport. I don't want to over shoot myself but I've only been biking and swimming for a year now. My running has always been good but now I've got to teach myself to run better off the bike. I like where things are going. Who knows, maybe I'll be in Kona one day fighting to keep Crowie and Lieto off my heels!

No comments:

Post a Comment