Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The Streak Is Broken!

I have not had any fast food or soft drinks for over 9 months.... until today. In the midst of self pity and loathing, I drove to Wendy's. It was definitely premeditated. It's not like I was driving down the road and was lured in by some fancy billboard picturing a large burger and fries. It was 10:30 in the morning and I said, screw it! I am eating my feelings today! To commemorate this epic moment, I couldn't just order in the drive thru. I was going to dine-in as if it were a fancy restaurant. I ordered three double stacks, cheese only, large fries, and a coke! Then I got four big cups of ketchup, napkins, and a straw. By this time it was only 10:45am and I had the entire place to myself. The quietness of the restaurant made the music very easy to hear. This was a problem. As I walked around the floor trying to find an area that was furthest from a speaker, I noticed that Wendy's strategically places all their speakers so that each section of tables has a speaker above them. I finally picked a spot by the window where the sun was shining in. I methodically set up my eating station, yes- I said, my eating station. When you have so much food that it takes up an entire table, you need to be organized. It's no longer a table but an eating station. I unwrapped my first burger and I could smell the beef (I think it was at least) and the soft bread. I dipped a side of the burger in ketchup and took a huge bite. I took a deep breath of relaxation like a smoker would after craving a cigarette all day long. But a combination of Celine Dion blaring over me, the warm sun shining through the window on my skin, and the fatty trans saturated heavenly bliss I was slowly consuming, ultimately led to a very depressing feeling. Is this what it's like to eat your feelings? I had become weak and vulnerable. My selfish urges got the best of me today and won. I'm already admitting defeat and it's only 12:15pm. I'm definitely not practicing what I preach. I hate my job right now, I want a career change, I really don't know what that career change is, and I'd rather just take the easy way out of things. And today, I did just that. I took the easy way out and got fast food. Nine months of resisting temptation is down the drain. Hopefully tomorrow will be day #1 of eating healthy again.

No comments:

Post a Comment