Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Another Statistic

On Tuesday, September 8 I became another statistic for the exceedingly high unemployment rate in America. With Monday off from work, I came into work with tons of stories from my Half Ironman race for everyone in the office. I was always known for having story time every monday from my weekend adventures. Everything started off the same way it did every morning. Nothing seemed different. I got a message saying to meet in the conference room for a meeting. It was a random group of people in the conference room but this was normal sometimes when making company wide announcements. The CEO and President came in and said, you're in here because we are laying you off. Me being a clown, I almost laughed out loud and said, this is a joke, right! Good thing I decided to wear my "professional pants" to work that day. Basically, 20% of the company was laid off. It was a business decision that would put the company in a better financial situation. I was in disbelief. This actually happened to me. We were told that we could not go back in to the office. Someone was collecting our belongings at our desks and we could exit the back door and our stuff will be in brown bags in the first floor lobby. I was upset that I couldn't say good bye to anyone. After working for almost two years with everyone, you develop some close relationships. Leaving the building for the last time felt like a scene off the Breakfast Club. I knew I probably wouldn't see some of these people again and everyone was going off in their own directions. I was the only one that left with a smile on my face. I had been praying for a change. I knew this was the blessing in disguise that I had been hoping for. I immediately knew that I had no excuses anymore for not pursuing my dreams and finding a job that I was happy with. I'm glad that my boss chose me out of our department to be let go. She knew that I wasn't happy and it was evident in my face as I worked. Out of everyone in our company, I was the one that people thought shouldn't be sitting at a desk looking over spreadsheets. It's just not me.

Bright side is, I have tons of time to train and do some adventurous things. Not to mention the nice severance package I was left with! Thanks for the memories Eco-Energy and good bye ethanol and biodiesel fuel tax laws!

No comments:

Post a Comment